CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
1057 Central Avenue
Northwest Corner of Central Avenue and Tioga Street
The Tioga Tavern at 1057 Central Avenue was originally known as the Central Cafe. The 1947 Camden City Directory shows it as being owned by Samuel Wasiluk. Sam Wasiluk came to America from Russian Poland in 1910. By 1920 he was living at 668 Tulip Street and working as a riveter at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard. By 1930 he had moved to 1057 Central Avenue, the corner of Central and Tioga Street, and was operating a grocery store. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Samuel Wasiluk established a bar at 1057 Central Avenue. He had acquired the 629 Ferry Avenue bar by 1946. The 1947 City Directory shows both bars as being called the Central Cafe. The Tioga street property has been known since then as the Tioga Tavern. Frank Bittman owned the bar in the early 1950s. Stanley and Sophie Kryza of 1489 South 10th Street were the proprietors in 1967.
The Tioga Tavern remains in business as of October 2003.
Click on Images to Enlarge
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE