CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
ERNEST STUEBING JR.'S CAFE
521 South 5th Street
Southwest Corner of South 5th and Clinton Streets
Ernest Stuebing Jr. is listed in the 1931 Camden City Directory in that category, which die to Prohibition, was called soft drinks. In those days, only near beer was legal to be sold, although there were numerous speakeasies in Camden. When the next directory was published in 1940, no bar was listed at 521 South 5th Street. Ernest Stuebing had moved to Haddon Heights NJ by 1947, and was working as a machinist.
Ernest Stuebing's brother, Frederick Stuebing, had operated a bar as early as 1918 at 1944 Broadway. This bar has been the home of American Legion Memorial Post 274 since at least 1939. Frederick Stuebing moved from Camden sometime after 1920 and was operating a hotel, the Lakeview Inn, on Cooper Street at Hurffville Road in Deptford Township by 1930.
The Stuebing family by January of 1938 had developed five different establishments in the suburbs, namely the Lakeview Inn, the Tammany House, the Five Point Grill in Pine Hill, the Spread Eagle Inn in Mt. Ephraim, and Stuebing's Tavern in Westville NJ.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE