CHARLES COX was elected to four one-year terms as the Mayor of Camden, before stepping down to run for the office of City Recorder.
Charles Cox was born in White Horse in Camden County on February 15, 1820. He worked at farming until the age of 15, when he became an apprentice printer. He moved to Camden in 1839 to pursue that trade, and remained in the printing business until 1859. During this time he built a home on Bridge Avenue west of Fourth Street.
Soon after coming to Camden, he involved himself in local politics, and was made city assessor in 1844 on the Whig ticket. With the dissolution of the Whigs in the 1850s he became a Republican. In 1859 he opened up a milk business, with his business located at his home.
In 1867 he was elected mayor of Camden, and was re-elected three times consecutively. He served as city recorder until 1884, when he was made justice of the peace, and operated a real estate office. By 1878 he was living at 505 Cooper Street in Camden. He resided at that address until his passing, at the age of 71, on November 9, 1890. Charles Cox was an active member of Union Methodist Episcopal Church. Later in life he belonged to Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church.
November 11, 1890
Methodist Episcopal Church
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE